Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Surprisingly Tricky Appeal for Guidance


Thanks Bill, for the heads up about Enfuse, apparently a worthwhile, though very different alternative to Helicon Focus. Now that you’ve put it on my radar I will explore it within the context of the close-up series I am planning.

As to Ann’s question about specific photographers to look at in the context of “published fine art photographers,” I’ve been pondering that simple request for days now. For me that turns out to be not such a simple question. For one thing, these days I tend to offer “resources,” including web-based materials, such as links to pertinent organizations, tutorials, exhibitions, events, articles, artist or gallery websites, etc. rather than strictly bibliographic citations. Mass and multi-media crowd the stage of possibility when seeking imagery that inspires and informs.

Your straightforward appeal for guidance has me somewhat stumped in other ways too. Fine art is in some ways in the eye of the beholder. Is the term slung about more loosely these days than ever, or has it always been thus? Remember who you’re dealing with here. I like color and I like nature. Sometimes work I look to may not be your cup of tea at all, not what you mean when you say “fine art.” A couple of examples are Peter Essick and David Ward.

I was excited to discover Peter Essick in the course of searching online for my course Landscape and Environmental Photography. I know of virtually no other photographer whose work so completely embodies both spheres. He currently has two new books, one available for purchase now and one for pre-order, and an April appearance on tap at National Geographic that I’m looking forward to. If you will permit me a few links not limited only to published books




David Ward’s book landscape within – insights and inspiration for photographers is one I’ve recommended many times since Evelyn Jacob shared it with me. I will refer to a section within called Worlds Within Worlds in the close-up series. Your call, Ann. Do either, or both of these two, meet your fine art criteria?

I also feel really challenged to come up with a nice list or even a single suggestion I feel sure would satisfy you because many times when I do suggest resources they relate to a particular practical topic, if you can call it that, say photography of the Potomac, and I feel free to suggest completely non-visual material such as Frederick Gutheim’s book or Louis Halle’s Spring in Washington to feed and fuel photographers’ practice. I took your request to mean photographers whose work you might study in reference to composition or visual statements but I think many non-photographic and even non-visual references are altogether valid.

I think of you as a sophisticated, well informed artist, and art appreciator. So, your question has an implication that you are searching hungrily for something you haven’t yet discovered. In partial answer to your question, I have to turn it around and ask you to share with us someone from your collection whose work has been most influential, inspiring, energizing, or otherwise important for you. Of course I would point everyone to Burtynsky but I know you’re already well aware of his work and stature.

My first response to your legitimate question was that your quest can only be very personal, as only you will know what really strikes a chord. Ask around for sure, but don’t rely only on other’s opinions and knowledge base. Dare I say, search the web, look at galleries online, for example. The other day my looking led to two southern galleries, one now a consultancy A Gallery For Fine Photography and Doma Gallery.

One more random tidbit – take a look at Mark L. Power (not to be confused with Brit documentary photog). So, what say you? Have I completely shirked my responsibility to provide what you asked for? I would rather say keep searching and have faith in your own ample, artful intuitive power. It would be great if you could post a selection from among your sand, bird, lounge images for Pam and Leslie to enjoy, and perhaps a book that you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.